Consulting Project: Dedalo Project
Project Title: Leveraging Supply Chain for Competitive Advantage: Sustainable and Eco-Ethical Sourcing
This project is assigned by Dedalo to a consulting team of 4 participants within the Diploma in Sustainable Business program. The project timeline includes the period of September 2012-June 2013. Dedalo is a for profit social enterprise that creates handmade textiles for home and lifestyle accessories, while working with urban and rural artisan communities in Colombia and Philippines.
The goal of this project is to develop tools that can help measure sustainability in the procurement of artisanal and indigenous textiles for Dedalo, and to implement reliable / resilient sustainability standards and frameworks for eco-ethical sourcing. The project’s value chain includes the full range of activities that firms and workers do to bring a product from its conception to its end use and beyond. This includes activities such as design, production, marketing, distribution and support to the final consumer. The supply chain key activities run from planning to sourcing, producing, delivering and returning faulty goods.
Develop a reliable mechanism to assure Dedalo customers, stakeholders and shareholders that sustainability principles are effectively implemented across the supply chain, via a certification system (i.e. The Cradle to Cradle CertifiedCM) for artisanally sourced textiles and/or integrating a standard/framework into the company’s procurement process that:
- takes into consideration the company’s mission and vision
- represents state-of-the-art knowledge and best practices
- creates efficiency along the supply chain (reducing costs of material inputs, transportation, energy)
- manages business risks, minimizes negative environmental/social/economic impacts (e.g. by reducing the environmental footprint of the sourced products, and integrating a set of social responsibility criteria into sourcing decisions)
- protects the company’s reputation and brand value, enhances customer and supplier relations and leverages brand trust
- supports innovation and enables sustainable growth of the sourcing partners / artisanal communities, aligning with Dedalo’s vision to have a social sustainable impact
- outlines a vision to guide product design and manufacturing
- creates eco-ethical and sustainable products (meeting the evolving demands of customers, shareholders and stakeholders)